Monday, September 20, 2010

Pavement


I saw my favorite band last night at the Williamsburg Waterfront. As I stood there alone in between the end of Jenny and Johnny and before the band of the night came on, I heard an older fan say behind me to one of her friends, "everyone under thirty should stand in the back." Even though I wasn't actually "around" for Pavement in its day, I feel like the songs are very easy to connect back to my life when they were still active. I hold a lot of nostalgia to their music for times before I even knew they existed, and in dreaming of the future. I laughed off this comment and got as close as I possibly could. I don't feel like giving an all-out review, but basically the show was amazing and I didn't even think about how this is a reunion tour. It was like they never left.
I also like the fact that they have no plans of making a new album or anything because it gives their music this permanence; they will always be a part of a certain moment in time, but their music will live on forever. And that sounds overly epic, but it's true.

1 comment:

  1. I think all of us OVER 30 should have to stand in the back at these Pavement shows so that those who never had a chance to see them the first time around can be certain to get the chance to see them now!

    I'm glad you did!

    Tim

    ReplyDelete